ABOUT THE BASIC RESEARCH GRANT
The grant aims to encourage exploratory, translational or developmental research by providing support for the early and conceptual stages of new clinical approaches. Therefore, this grant is directed towards basic and translational science and novel ideas/techniques in hand surgery, rather than studies on clinical series of patients.
€10,000 award for a one-year grant.
The deadline to apply for a Basic Research Grant is 31 October 2019
- Applicant must be an active member of a FESSH affiliated national organization
- Residents, fellows and consultants may apply, however in the selection process a focus will be on promoting younger applicants with strong and promising projects.
- Members of the Research Committee cannot apply for funding either as a principal investigator, co-investigator, or sponsor.
- There is no limit on the number of applications submitted from each institution
- Re-submissions are allowed.
The Basic Research Grant application is for a one-year €10,000 award. Start date should be listed no earlier than 1 September and must begin by 31 December 2019
Download the Basic Research Grant application form, fill out and save as a PDF (name your file: lastname_grant_year.pdf) and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure that all requirements are fulfilled and that supporting documents are attached to the submission in the same PDF file as the grant application (only submit one PDF file per application).
Letter of Support from your Department Chair or Division Head. The purpose of this letter is to verify that the researcher will have time and resources to complete the project in a timely fashion.
Documentation that confirms that the proposed project has been approved by regional Ethical Boards and/or Animal Care Committee.
CV (max 4 pages) including up to 20 most important publications, relevant to the project.
Submit any questions by email to email@example.com. Applicants will be informed of their application status by 1 December 2019.
Investigators receiving grants are expected to make a progress report by 31 May, 2020 in addition to a final report once the one-year term of the grant has expired. A final report including a listing of all presentations and publications resulting from the project must be submitted no later than 31 May, 2021. All funds not used in the study should be returned to FESSH.
Progress Report Outline
- Grant name and year awarded
- Project Title and date of the grant period
- PI Name
- Summary of specific aims and progress made so far
Please also include the following:
- List of publications originating from the grant (include date and name of publication)
- List of presentations resulting from this study (name of organization, date, type [oral/poster])
- Additional funding received or applied for, related to this study (include funding source and total amount)
PUBLICATION AND FURTHER FUNDING
We encourage the awardees to present their results at the FESSH Annual Meeting the
year after the grant was awarded. In the case of publication presenting or citing research funding credit is to be noted by footnote that the project was supported totally or partially by funds from FESSH.
PAYMENT OF THE GRANT
The amount of the Basic Research Grant will be paid to the winner at the beginning of the research right after the Basic Research Grant Acceptance Letter has been signed by the winner. Here you can read the Acceptance Letter.