Downloadable materials to promote prevention
These materials are to translate to your language and use in promotion of prevention.
Hand Trauma Prevention Meeting
The next Prevention Meeting will be held in Oxford, UK on 16 September 2016, under the resposability of Oxford University. More information: www.bssh.ac.uk/education/courses/4theuropeanhandinjury
Vienna, Austria, 20-21 October 2014.
The second Hand Trauma Prevention Meeting was held in Berlin on 15th October 2012. Richarda Boettcher as president of the meeting collected important data from many countries from all over Europe. The presentation of the meeting are downloadable for 3 years from here.
The First Hand trauma prevention meeting was held in Bursa (Turkey) on June 25th, 2009
This meeting was organised by T Kaleli (Turkey), T Dubert (France) and Ph Bellemere (France) on behalf of the Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH) and the Hand Trauma Committee (HTC)
This important event was a first attempt to give a comprehensive view of the importance of hand trauma.
- In summary
- Hand trauma is the first cause of sick leave following work related accidents.
- A total of 8.8 million accidents occur in Europe every year.
- Health care (surgery, rehabilitation, hospitalisation) expenses represent only about 20% of the total expenses as opposed to financial compensation (paid sick leave and sequelae) that account for 80%
- The incidence of work-related Hand trauma shows unequal distribution among European Countries (25% to 60%).
- Efficient prevention plans can reduce hand trauma in work place by up to 50%
- Lack of prevention in daily life activities is alarming
The data collected in this meeting is a valuable justification for prioritizing Hand Injury Prevention on the health policy agenda of the European Union. Presentations of this meeting are downloadable for free here.