The Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand (FESSH) invites applications for the prestigious “FESSH Training Fellowship in Hand Surgery”.
This is intended to facilitate advanced training in Hand Surgery in a hand surgery centre in a FESSH affiliated European country.
- There will be a €12,000 grant to the successful applicant.
- There will be €3000 grant to the host training centre.
- The registration fee for attendance at the FESSH Annual Meeting for the year of the Fellowship will be waived.
The fellow will be selected by the FESSH Training and Education Committee, through a formal process. Prospective candidates are to put forward a proposal to include the following information:
- The centre which is intended to be visited
- Period of visit (minimum 6 months)
- Provisional agreement from surgeons/centres to be visited
- Provisional timetable
- Research proposals (not essential)
- Application form with personal statement (see next page)
- Photograph of applicant (needed for the brief presentation the successful applicant will make at the FESSH Annual Meeting)
Applicants should be
- A trainee in Hand/Orthopaedic/Plastic surgery
- Working in a FESSH affiliated European centre
- A member of a FESSH affiliated national Hand Society.
- Prior to accreditation
Prospective centres to be visited must be
- In a European country with a hand society that is a member of FESSH
- A recognised centre for Hand Surgery training
- Not in the same country as the training to date
- Not in the same country as the applicant lives
The successful candidate will be expected to give a short presentation at the next FESSH meeting after the fellowship, outlining the period of fellowship and what has been learnt/researched.
50% of the €12.000 is paid prior to the fellowship.
The remaining 50% will be paid after three months, on receipt of the required report by FESSH.
The host training centre will receive the €3000 when the fellowship has been completed by the successful candidate.
This award is limited to one participant per calendar year.
These grants are only valid for fellowships which are not already remunerated.
The Fellowship is intended primarily for surgeons in training.
Please submit the application by the deadline of 30 April 2019.
Please download the application form and send it along with all items to: